Getting Things Done for The Golden State
Adam has an extraordinary record of delivering results for the people of California. From championing legislation that creates jobs, lowers health care costs, and fights climate change to holding those in power accountable, Adam has successfully taken on some of the toughest challenges facing California and our nation. He is also one of the most successful California members of Congress when it comes to securing funding for his district. See how Adam has effectively worked to deliver for Californians.
Building a California Economy for All
Adam’s top priority is building an economy that works for everyone, and ensuring the wealthiest Americans and big corporations pay their fair share in taxes. Adam opposed the Trump administration’s tax giveaway to the wealthy and large corporations and continues to fight for a tax code that helps working people— instead of tax cheats.
Throughout his career, Adam has been a champion for workers. In the California State Senate, Adam secured a cost-of-living pension increase for California teachers. He also led on legislation, passed into law, that provided grants to universities and increased local film production and protected local jobs. During the pandemic, he successfully expanded unemployment insurance for contractors and freelancers struggling to get by. And he was a champion for an expanded child tax credit that lifted millions of kids out of poverty.
In Congress, Adam has fought for paid family leave, led efforts to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour in order to lift working people and families out of poverty, and championed the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act to expand federal labor protections and the right to organize. He has also voted against harmful Republican efforts to undercut overtime pay for millions of workers, fought to protect pregnant workers and LGBTQ workers from discrimination, pushed for the Paycheck Fairness Act to ensure women earn equal pay, and backed legislation to help small businesses keep their doors open and stay open during the pandemic.
Adam has also stood shoulder-to-shoulder with union workers on the picket lines in California, from hospitality workers to screenwriters, fighting for better working conditions and fair wages. He will continue that fight for working people and an economy that works for everyone when he is elected to the United States Senate by pushing for stronger worker protections, a fairer tax code, and better wages.
Throughout his career, Adam has been a champion for workers. Adam’s successes include:
- Delivering federal investments to his district for everything from infrastructure projects and mental health treatment facilities to housing and youth engagement programs.
- Securing a major cost-of-living pension increase for California teachers.
- Protecting film jobs by ushering into law legislation that provided grants to universities and incentivized local film production.
- Helping usher into law legislation to help small businesses keep their doors open and stay open during the pandemic.
Adam believes that everyone deserves a roof over their head. Yet, too many Californians just can’t keep up with rising housing costs in the Golden State. It’s why Adam has worked in Congress and alongside local leaders to help combat California’s twin crises of homelessness and housing affordability.
Adam has brought back millions in federal investments to his district for affordable housing, championed efforts to protect low-income families, seniors, and veterans from housing discrimination, fought for renter protections like extending the moratorium against evictions and foreclosures during the pandemic, and secured funding to expand housing and community services for those experiencing homelessness. He will continue to advocate for solutions that boost California’s efforts to combat housing affordability and homelessness.
Adam knows there is still more work to do. As California’s next Senator, he will continue working tirelessly to ensure California and our cities have the resources they need to tackle homelessness and create more housing that’s affordable for families.
Thanks to Adam’s effective leadership, he has secured over $190 million in funds to boost housing affordability and curb homelessness in California. This includes funding to:
- Provide rental assistance to veterans, seniors, students, and families across California.
- Increase California’s affordable housing stock.
- Expand and complete facilities serving individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Reduce poverty and food insecurity among Californians.
- Boost and strengthen critical resources and support systems for those experiencing homelessness, mental health crises and addiction.
Adam will continue to follow in the footsteps of past Senators to secure and deliver every possible resource to California in order to meet our biggest challenges.
Adam believes every American deserves quality affordable health care. During his time in the California State Senate, Adam authored a California patient bill of rights to provide patients recourse when health insurance companies deny them the medical care they need.
In Congress, Adam has successfully secured millions in federal funding for his district to improve and expand health care. This includes funding to boost access to mental health care including telehealth services, upgrade health care facilities to better serve the needs of patients, and investments for first responder services to assist those in need of mental health or substance abuse care. He also helped pass into law the Inflation Reduction Act, historic legislation which lowered the cost of certain prescription drugs to $35 a month for seniors on Medicare.
And as we work towards universal health care, Adam has long advocated for the dramatic expansion of Medi-Cal to ensure low-income children and families, expectant mothers, and people with disabilities have free or low-cost quality health care in the Golden State. Amid threats to reproductive freedom, Adam has also voted to codify Roe v. Wade into law, protect abortion access nationwide, and ensure access to contraception and other reproductive health care. He continues to fight for the passage of the Medicare for All Act and full implementation of the landmark Affordable Care Act.
In keeping with his commitment to ensuring every Californian has access to quality health care, Adam’s successes include:
- Authoring and ushering into law a California patient bill of rights which gives patients recourse when health insurance companies deny them the medical care they need.
- Helping pass into law two pieces of historic legislation – the Affordable Care Act and the Inflation Reduction Act, which lowered the cost of certain prescription drugs to $35 a month for seniors on Medicare.
- Securing millions for public health including mental health care, family support services, and access to free or low-cost health care for Californians. These funds supported the community work of organizations in his district such as the West San Gabriel Valley YMCA, Los Angeles LGBT Center, and Young & Healthy.
From securing funding to expanding access to health care to passing a transformative patient bill of rights bill, Adam will continue to build on his record of success in the Senate.
Democracy & Voting Rights
Adam has dedicated his career to safeguarding our democracy from the influence of special interests and threats of far-right extremism.
Adam has led efforts to reform our broken campaign finance laws. After a hard fought victory in 2000 when Adam flipped a congressional seat from red to blue, the first piece of legislation he co-sponsored cracked down on corporations and foreign organizations spending to influence elections. Adam is also the author of a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United which would limit the influence of corporate special interest groups.
In the House of Representatives, Adam led the first impeachment inquiry into former President Donald J. Trump, securing the first bipartisan vote ever to impeach a sitting president. As Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and member of the January 6th Select Committee, he worked alongside his colleagues to protect our democracy, uncover the truth, uphold the rule of law, and hold insurrectionists accountable.
Adam continues to advocate for expanding the size of the U.S. Supreme Court, abolishing the filibuster, ending partisan gerrymandering, removing barriers to voting by making Election Day a federal holiday, expanding automatic voter registration and early voting, and preventing future abuses of executive power with stronger checks and balances with his landmark legislation Protecting Our Democracy Act.
Adam has also pushed to ban Supreme Court justices and federal judges, as well as their spouses and dependent children, from trading individual stocks. He has also backed legislation to ban Members of Congress from trading stocks. In addition, Adam has called for the creation of a code of ethics to hold the Supreme Court accountable.
Adam is proud to have put party politics aside and honored and upheld his oath to the Constitution. His achievements include:
- Leading the first impeachment inquiry into former President Donald J. Trump, securing the first bipartisan vote ever to remove a sitting president.
- Holding violent January 6th insurrectionists and former president accountable as a member of the January 6th Select Committee.
- Sponsoring landmark legislation to crack down on corporations and foreign organizations spending to influence elections as well as authoring a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United which would limit the influence of corporate special interest groups.
Climate and Environment
Adam has led on efforts to protect our planet, public lands, and environment. He believes we must take bold climate action to mitigate the impacts of climate change on our economy, communities, and national security.
Adam supports taking aggressive action to create a green economy that will create millions of new, green jobs and finally end subsidies to fossil fuel companies. As a co-sponsor of the Green New Deal, Adam has pushed for renewable energy policies that keep energy prices low, make America energy independent, and dramatically develop and expand clean energy technologies and jobs.
As a former U.S. assistant attorney, Adam held polluters and toxic waste dumpers accountable. His work led to the creation of the first federal environmental crimes unit in Los Angeles. In the California State Senate, Adam authored and passed into law his legislation to speed up testing for chromium-6 in local drinking water amid public health concerns.
Adam is also known as the “Father of the Gold Line” for his leadership in expanding Metro light rail across Southern California, a project that still serves millions of riders to this day. He also is responsible for the establishment of California’s earthquake early warning system – ShakeAlert. Adam has secured over $100 million to expand, support, and improve this critical early warning system in the Golden State.
He has also championed legislation to preserve and protect California’s natural beauty and public lands. He successfully ushered into law his landmark Rim of the Valley Corridor Study Act which would help dramatically expand the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area to include over 100,000 acres of mountains and canyons in the Rim of the Valley Corridor. Adam strongly opposes oil and gas drilling off the coast of California and continues to vote against efforts that weaken environmental protections and harm our progress on bold climate action.
Adam has a record of results when it comes to protecting our environment and California communities. His successes include:
- Holding polluters and toxic waste dumpers accountable as a former U.S. assistant attorney. Adam’s work led to the creation of the first federal environmental crimes unit in Los Angeles.
- Expanding Metro light rail in Southern California, a project that still serves millions of riders to this day and created thousands of jobs.
- Establishing and expanding California’s earthquake early warning system. Adam continues to secure millions in federal funding to support, improve, and expand the reach of this critical early warning system in the Golden State.
- Passing into law his legislation to speed up testing for chromium-6 in local drinking water amid public health concerns.
Adam and his wife, Eve, are the proud parents of two children educated in public schools. As a former part-time community college instructor, Adam knows the importance of a quality education as well as the challenges that California teachers and students face.
It’s why Adam is a strong advocate of early investments in childhood education and universal expansion of pre-K. In Congress, he helped deliver federal funding for Early Head Start programs in his district, ensuring that children were healthy and ready for school. Adam also secured millions of dollars in federal funds for youth development including education technology and workforce development in his district.
During his time in the California State Senate, Adam authored legislation guaranteeing $1 billion in funding for up-to-date textbooks in California’s K-12 public schools. He also played a key role in passing legislation that reduced class sizes. Adam also secured critical cost-of-living increases for teacher pensions.
Adam knows too many young people struggle with crushing student loan debt. He believes we must put an end to this crisis of college affordability. Adam supports canceling at least $50,000 in student loan debt for every borrower. He continues to fight to expand Pell Grant funding – a key program which boosts college access for low-income students. In the Senate, Adam will keep working to ensure that cost is not a barrier to a good education for California students, and that student loan debt does not preclude them from buying homes or starting families.
When it comes to investing in our kids’ success and supporting California students and teachers, Adam has delivered real results. This includes:
- Bringing millions for youth development to his district including for organizations like the Boys & Girls Club and Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Los Angeles.
- Authoring legislation guaranteeing $1 billion in funding for up-to-date textbooks in California’s K-12 public schools.
- Delivering millions in grant funds for an Early Head Start program in his district.
- Working to expand Pell Grant funding to boost college access for low-income students.
Public Safety & Criminal Justice
As a former federal prosecutor, Adam has worked to root out corruption, improve public safety, and reform our criminal justice system.
Early in his career at the Department of Justice, Adam prosecuted a Mexican drug cartel boss, took down toxic waste dumpers, established the first federal environmental crimes unit in the nation, and indicted a former FBI agent Richard Miller who was spying for Russia.
Adam is proud to have ushered into law the Schiff-Cárdenas Crime Prevention Act of 2000 which provided an unprecedented level of funding to curb crime among at-risk youth and young offenders. He also passed into law legislation to protect children from online predators and to assist law enforcement in solving difficult murder cases.
Adam has also secured federal funding to create a DNA lab to improve the processing of DNA evidence and take violent offenders off the street, obtained millions in federal funding to eliminate the rape-kit backlog in Los Angeles, passed into law a bill to give more tools to county welfare departments to protect foster children, and passed legislation that strengthened protections for domestic violence victims. Adam remains committed to reforming our broken criminal justice system and keeping California families and communities safe.
As a parent, Adam knows just how crucial it is for California families to be safe and feel safe. His achievements include:
- Passing into law the transformative Schiff-Cárdenas Crime Prevention Act of 2000 which provided an unprecedented level of funding to curb crime among at-risk youth and young offenders.
- Authoring and helping enact legislation to protect children from online predators and to assist law enforcement in solving difficult murder cases.
- Obtaining millions in federal funding to eliminate the rape-kit backlog in Los Angeles.
- Securing millions in federal funding to create a DNA lab to improve the processing of DNA evidence and take violent offenders off the street.
- Helping usher into law a bill giving more tools to county welfare departments to protect foster children.